Local History Timeline

Pre 1585

1585-1586

1607

1637

1639

1643

1650

1671

1689

1690

1691

1692

1695

1696

1699

1699

 

1700

1706

1706

1716

1715

1725

1726

1735

1736

1742

1751

1754

1759

1764

1775

1775

1776

1777

1778

1783

1784

1789

1790

1792

1800

1810

1822

1826

1830s

1840s

1846

1854

1959

1860

1861

 

1874

1877

1878

1879-1881

1881

1888

1888

1895

1899

1900

1903

1904

1905

1906

1907

1912

1913

1917

 

1919

1923

1925

1926

1927

1928

1930

1933

1937

1938

1948

1952

1954

1954

1956

1958

1961

1961

1962

1962

1962

1962

1963

1963

1964

1965

 

1966

1967

1973

1981

1984

1986

1988

1988

 

Chesepioc Native American Settlement near Great Neck point, Skicoac settlement at Norfolk.

 

Scientist Thomas Harriot and artist John White were sent from Roanoke Island to the Chesapeake Bay

          to explore the New World, the first Englishmen to set foot in this part of Virginia.

The first Landing at Cape Henry – April 26.

Lower Norfolk: Henry Woodhouse Land Grant on Great Neck Point.

The first Lynnhaven Parish church was built, Church Point.

Capt. Adam Thoroughgood received land patent that would later become Bayville Farms.

William Moseley Senior builds “Rolleston”.

The Weblin house was built

 

The first courthouse built was built, eastern shore of Lynnhaven River.

The first Eastern Shore Chapel was built, Ye Dudlies, AKA the Adam Keeling House.

King, Queen, Norfolk and Princess Anne Counties were created.

The second Lynnhaven Parish Church was built, “Old Donation”.

The first Princess Anne County courthouse was built.

The second courthouse was built, adjacent to “Old Donation”.

Lynnhaven Bay terrorized by the pirate ship Alexander and the next year by the pirate ship Pa Paix.

The Thoroughgood house was built.

John Ackiss settled and farmed in the area that would later become Birdneck Point.

Grace Sherwood tried for witchchcraft. - July 10.

The Old Donation church paten was donated by Maximillion Bousch.

A goblet (1712) and flagon(1716) were given to Old Donation Church as part of Queen Anne's bounty.

The second Lynnhaven Parish church was turned into a school. Gilbert Holloday as headmaster.

The second Eastern Shore chapel was built.

The third courthouse was built, Ferry Plantation.

The third  Lynnhaven Parish Church, Witchduck Road was built.

The fourth courthouse built, Newtown.

The Lynnhaven house built

The third Eastern Shore chapel was built.

TheUpper Wolfsnare house was built by Thomas Walke III.

The Pembroke Manor house was built.

Skirmish at Kempsville – Revolutionary War – First southern casualty of the Revolution.

Lord Dunmore's redcoats invaded Princess Anne County.

The Battle of Kemp's Landing was fought

Pleasant Hall was built.

The fifth courthouse was built, Kempsville was built.

The Eastern Shore Baptist church established (later known as London Bridge Baptist).

Kempsville was incorporated as a town.

The Charity Methodist church is established in Back Bay.

The Nimmo United Methodist church. Steeple Added 1890s, addition 1950s.

 

The brick lighthouse was erected at Cape Henry. First lighthouse built with Federal funds.

Marshall Parks established the Seaside Hotel and Land Company.

The Francis Land house was built.

The Bell house was built.

The sixth (and present) courthouse was built, Princess Anne Municipal Center.

The Bayville Farms Manor house was built.

The Ferry Farm Plantation was rebuilt.

The Church Point Manor house was built.

The Blossom Hill School was built in Creeds. First in PA County under the Virginia Free Schools Act.

St. John’s Baptist Church. Renovated twice, wings added 1950s.

The Ebenezer Baptist Church. Oldest African American church Virginia Beach.

The Blackwater Baptist Church. Additions mid 1900s.

Union Forces used the Eastern Shore Chapel as a stable for their horses and occupied PA County a year later.

The Cape Henry Life Saving Station #1 was built

Marshall parks established the Seaside Hotel and Land Company

The Seatack Life Saving Station #2 was built.

Three Life Saving Stations were built: Dam Neck Mills #3, Little Island #4, False Cape #5.

A cast iron lighthouse was erected at Cape Henry (the largest of it's kind in the country).

Old Donation Church burned.

The first wooden boardwalk was built.

The Dewitt Cottage was built.

More than 1,500 acres of strawberries were raised in Princess Anne County.

Lynnhaven oysters reached their peak population.

The town of Virginia Beach was incorporated.

Cooke School was opened as the first public school in the attic of the Driftwood Cottage.

The first Public Library was opened in B. P.  Holland's store on 7th Street.

The Town of Virginia Beach was incorporated.

A town hall was built to house a school, jail,  and volunter fire department.

James M. Jordan became the first man to ride a surfboard on the east coast.

Construction began on the Kempsville Amish church house.

Fort Story, named for John P. Story, an artillery expert, was opened Called the "American Gilbraltar".

C.J. Burroughs founded Bayville Farms.

The Skinner School for African Americans children opened near the present-day entrance to Thouroiughgood.

The first fire station was built at the corner of 25th Street and Pacific Avenue.

The London Bridge Baptist church forms "Purity Squad" to track down bootleggers.

The Cavalier Hotel was opened.

The Association for Research and Enlightenment was formed

Atlantic University is established.

Ocean Breeze Beach opened for African Americans on Lake Joyce.

The Yoder Dairy opened in PA County on Kempsville Road.

Robert E. W. Sparrow became Princess Anne County's first black policeman.

Virginia Beach Hospital opened at 25th Street and Atlantic Avenue.

 

Virginia Beach was incorporated as a city.

The fourth Eastern Shore chapel was built.

Princess Anne High School was opened.

First Boardwalk Art Show was held.

The first shopping center in Virginia Beach opens, Aragona Shopping Center.

Formation of the Princess Anne County Historical Society.

Virginia Wesleyan Collage was chartered.

A voter referendum approved the merger of Princess Anne  County and the city of Virginia Beach.

The "Ash Wednesday" Storm damaged 340 homes and over 1,000 automobiles.

The East Coast Surfing Championship was established.

A bronze replacement for the original wooden Norwegian Lady statue was dedicated.

The Virginia Beach Convention Center was renamed the Alan B. Shepard Civic Center in honor of the first                         American in space who was a local resident.

Princess Anne County merges with Virginia Beach Resort to form the City of Virginia Beach. Population 84,000.

Virginia Beach beaches were integrated.

The Virginia Beach General Hospital was built and opened for patient care.

 

Roland E. Dorer, State Public Health Director of Rodent Control, conceived the idea for "Mount Trashmore".

The Virginia Beach/Norfolk Expressway (then Route 44, now part of I-264) was opened.

The first Neptune Festival was held

The Virginia Beach Maritime Historical Museum opened in the old Coast Guard Station.

The first Pungo Strawberry Festival was held.

The Virginia Marine Science Museum opened and would later be renamed the Virginia Aquarium.

Meyera Oberndorf, the City's first directly elected mayor, was sworn into office.

The Tidewater Veterans Memorial was built and dedicated to  all U.S. war veterans.

 

Background Image: A pre-1913 photograph showing the Seatack Life Saving Station at,what is now, 24th Street and Atlantic Avenue.

A small crowd is gathered to observe a training drill.